Saturday, January 18, 2014

Consultations and twiddling thumbs

So as I said before I had a consultation with an eye surgeon on the 6th of this month. I was planning on doing this post that week but I just kept forgetting.
The day of my appointment my dad drove me there and we got there early. I signed in and seeing as there was no one else in the waiting room figured I'd be called back soon.  We were in that waiting room at least an hour before I was called back. First they took a few pictures of my eyes for before pictures. Then we went in the first room and I answered questions for my patient file while one of the medical assistants entered it into their system.
After that she took us to a back hallway and had us sit and wait for an exam room to open. Once one did we got to go in there and twiddle our thumbs for another 30 minutes waiting to actually see the surgeon. When she finally got back to see us she was very friendly and apologetic for the long wait. Upon seeing how young I am she of course questioned whether I was sure I wanted to remove the eye and not just try a corneal transplant. I explained to her that it is both the pain and my not liking seeing the shunt in the mirror that make me sure this is the right choice for me.
She then told us about the 2 different kinds of implants: one is porous and moves like a regular eye but in the long run causes s lot of complications.  The second which us the one I'm going with is smooth and will have some movement but cause very few if any complications in the long run. She showed us a plastic example of an implant which had to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It had so much detail and made me even more excited to see my final product since it will be unique to my eye and no one else's will be the same.
We were able to schedule surgery for February 25th and now all I have left to do ahead of surgery is a pre op physical and some blood work which is at the beginning of February.  It's still hard to believe it's getting closer and right now I'm more excited then nervous but I'm sure I'll get more nervous as the day approaches. There probably won't be another post in this series till after the surgery and that will most likely not be up for at least a week after surgery but it really depends how I feel. I hope that you guys are enjoying reading about my experiences and it's not too boring.
Live. Love. Stay Asp-tastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment