Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"Hello helicopter will you be my friend?"


I'm getting todays blog up pretty late because today was a really rainy day so I spent most of it reading "The Hunger Games". This book has surprised me by how much that I have gotten into it and to think I almost didn't even buy the book. I can not wait to see that movie it looks like it will be very interesting but moving on as I don't really want to write a whole entry on that book just thought I'd mention it and I'm only about half done with the book.
I suppose this entry is as good as any to talk about the autism retreat I went to this summer. It started August 8th (the day after my 26th birthday) and my wonderful mom and I drove to PA and checked in. That night we had our first vegan meal which was pretty interesting there were good things: veggie burgers and pasta with sauce, and things that were interesting like vegan pizza without any sauce on it. Throughout the week there it seemed everyone had mixed reviews on what they thought of the food being offered but this was their first year at a new venue so maybe next year it will be better.
That night after dinner we went to the orientation and then I got a chance to meet some of the others there (I am making nicknames for the people that I met there so as not to invade their privacy which I am doing for everyone I mention in this blog.) 
Mama bear was there with her son and her presence just seemed to help me relax when I was talking to her. I also met Pig-a-sus who I really wish I had talked to more but he was the only person there that made my brain go all fuzzy and unable to come up with anything to say except Hi. If he ends up reading this blog I have a feeling he'd know I meant him because of something that he had with his display that first night.
That week I attended some interesting presentations and learned a lot, I also made a pretty awesome shirt one night during a shirt painting activity. It took me a few days to finally open up and feel comfortable there and I don't think I fully did til Thursday night. My mom and I had gone to visit family during the day Thursday since they were pretty close to where the retreat was and then we came back to the campus and my mom went to go meet up with one of her friends for a business party. I'd told her that it was fine because they were having a dance that night and I planned to go to it though I was nervous and excited.
The dance took a little while for people to start getting into it because they started with classical music and no one really knew how they should dance to it. After a while the music got changed and randomly people started  twirling and flapping around the room and within a few minutes I was join in having such a great time and feeling very free to be me.
After a few songs I went and sat out in the hallway with a group of people that were talking and a min or so later Keroppi sat next to me. Pretty soon Keroppi and I were talking to each other about how we both found out we had aspergers. The conversation went through so many random topics like school dances, what if there were showers under the stairwells, what if the hypothetical showers under the stairwells rained down gold coins, and how messy the hallways were as we walked around downstairs. We had gotten so into our conversation we didn't seem to notice that the rest of the group had gone either back to the dance or to their rooms. We also ended up losing track of time and talked for around 3 hours. We exchanged contact information and ended up talking for the last hour or so before we had to leave the next afternoon and I am very happy that I had this chance to meet him.
So I know that now I am posting this blog on Thursday instead of Wednesday but I hope to post another blog later today which I am about to start work on so there may end up being a 2 post day.

No comments:

Post a Comment